Lolita 52 Challenge: Vol. 10 - How Strangers React To My Clothes, And How I React To Their Reactions


   Welcome back everyone!  And if this is your first time here, Hello!  ♥  This is my tenth post for the Lolita 52 Challenge created by +Caro Dee of FYeah Lolita.  If you love lolita fashion go check out the list .  It is plenty of fun to blog about or to use as conversation starters at meet ups.  Each Saturday I will answer one of the questions on the list.  Last week I talked about my favorite Lolita brand.  This week I am talking about number forty four,  how strangers react to my clothes, and how I react to their reactions.  If you'd like to see the rest of my answers they are all listed under my Lolita 52 Challenge tag.


    I think this is the perfect week to discuss this topic as I wore Lolita and some of my other fabulous outfits this week during GISHWHES.  When I first looked at the prompt I just couldn't remember specific situations.  But as soon as last Saturday, the first day of the hunt, I was reminded of the reactions I can get.

    For the most part I get positive reactions from my outfits.  Last Saturday I wore my Eat Me Ink Me wine lover's skirt for one of our videos for the hunt.  I actually had a woman come up and ask if she could take a picture of me in my lolita outfit for her daughter.  She actually knew what I was wearing.  It was awesome!  We chatted for a bit and I tried to be friendly, but I can be a bit shy so I worry that maybe I wasn't as friendly as I wanted to be.  Latter that evening a man cat called, "What show is it for."  My friends and I ignored him.

    These two occurrences helped to jog my memory and I remember many of the reactions I have gotten.  Most of them have been positive.  I have had a few negative reactions, like the cat calls.  There were two preteens once that saw me walking with a parasol.  They were making loud comments, from across the street, about how it wasn't raining and why did I have an umbrella.  I had a little girl in a store call me a witch over and over again.  In most cases I just keep my head up high and keep walking.  Save in the case of the girl who was basically going, "Witch, witch!" in the store.  I couldn't believe that the girls mother would let her behave like that and actually turned to the girl and told her this was how I liked to dress and the I was not a witch.  The mother gave me a dirty look and I was so glad that I bit my tongue.  It angered me quite a bit.  And It would take some time to organize all my thoughts on the matter of that negative interaction, so I will leave it at this.

    For the most part the more confident I have become the easier it has been to let the negative interactions roll off my back.  For sometime I was uncertain of what to say or do in the positive interactions.  Reading the work of people like Gala Darling and other people who encourage self-love & self-confidence has taught me what to say.  Thank you.  I thank them.  Their comments may make me blush a little, but they also make me feel great and bolster me against the negative interactions.  So I thank the people who tell me I look nice or that they love my outfit.

    What has your experience been with the reactions of strangers to your clothing?

Comments