Lolita 52 Challenge: Vol. 16 - Combining Other Fashions With Lolita


   Hello everyone! ♥  ♥  This is my sixteenth post for the Lolita 52 Challenge created by +Caro Dee of FYeah Lolita.  If you love lolita fashion go check out the list .  It is plenty of fun to blog about or to use as conversation starters at meet ups.  Each Saturday I will answer one of the questions on the list.  Last week I talked about What My Own Lolita Lifestyle Is Like.  This week I am talking about number twelve,  Combining other fashions with Lolita.  If you'd like to see the rest of my answers they are all listed under my Lolita 52 Challenge tag.


    This is a topic I feel pretty comfortable with.  My own personal fashion has blossomed since I got into lolita.  There will often be at least traces of lolita fashion in the other styles I wear.  I am not afraid to blend my styles and experiment.  I have also had tons of fun experimenting with casual lolita.  This seems like the safest place to start blending in a way that can often result in looks I figure many lolitas might say are no longer lolita.  But that is okay.  It is fashion and it should be experimented with.  I am not saying that we should just ignore all the advise that is out there on how to make a great lolita coord.  And I am not saying you can dress however you want as long as you don't call it lolita.  I am saying that there is some room to push things around and see what we like personally.  And don't be afraid to use terms like lolita influence or lolita inspired.


    I think one aspect of lolita to keep in mind when experimenting is quality.  Using low quality fabric or too many pieces that seem costumey in nature will make an outfit look less like an outfit and more like a costume.  Which is something I would suggest to avoid.


    If you are going to use aspects of lolita in other fashion there are different ways you can do this.  Try switching out your skirt for a pair of nice slacks for a more office look.  Or stick the the silhouette of lolita and use a baby doll tee with a cute or quirky or nerdy print.  Add some fun socks and combat boots or tennis shoes. (depending on your taste)


    There are several ways you can go.  One thing I do when I am building a coord is to think of the over all feel of the outfit.  Do I want it too be really laid back and casual?  Or do I want a more elegant regal look?  I am also not afraid to play with gender norms.  Who says you can't mix a little men's wear with your lolita?


     I have posted a few of my coords in this post.  All of these are using a petticoat.  One thing to think of when you are playing with coords is that accessories can make a big difference.  Not all your accessories need to be cute and kawaii.



    Most importantly, they are your clothes.  Have some fun with them.

Tata,
Lilian

Comments