Book Review: The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence) by Scott Lynch

A copy of the book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" sitting on a warm colored striped fabric with a small black knife, a globe, and a string of pearls.

    I finished this book via Audible on Thursday.  It was fantastic!  It was gritty and beautiful.  I'm not sure if gritty is exactly the way to put it, but it was messy and aggressive.  It was a story about rouges, thieves, and con men.  The language was -well colorful.  And if that is not your thing you might be put off by it.  Otherwise the the colorful language was interesting and different.  The world was rich and alive.  The characters were clever and foolish and sly as foxes.

    I am in love with the writing style Scott Lynch used for this book.  I was also very happy to not KNOW what was going to happen next.  This is huge problem for me when reading books or watching shows.  I can read plots well that I often know exactly what will happen and how. That makes it difficult to just enjoy a story for me.  I did not have this problem with this story.  I was immersed and enthralled.  The emotions in it were intense and felt real.  Hell sometimes I felt like the characters were tricking me.  Absolutely wonderful.

    I was very satisfied with this book and look forward to reading more from this series and more from this author.

    The next book I plan on reading is Valour and Vanity by Mary Robinette Kowal.  The Glamourist Histories are very different from The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, but I love them too.

    So what have you been reading?

Lilian A. Brennan

Comments