e Readers, NASA, and Minecraft

Here are a few of the things I have been reading and doing this past week.

Writing and the e Book Market

I read an interesting post over at Anne R. Allen's Blog.  “The Ebook Market No Author Should Ignore: Think Globally!” was an interesting and enlightening read.  It highlighted for me some of the distinct advantages of e readers when traveling.  I have heard on several occasions people arguing that the e books will make paper books obsolete.  Personally I don’t believe this will ever truly happen.  Books and e reads both have advantages and disadvantages.  I think there is a place for both in the world.  Honestly, do you want an author to sign your e-reader or your book?

NASA and Government Shutdown 

I have been following NASA and Spaceflight Now on twitter.  It has been very informative.  It was really neat to see that they pasted several updates leading to the docking of the Soyuz to the International Space Station.  One of the NASA missions I am most excited about is MAVEN.  The Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN(MAVEN) is set to launch on the 18th of November and is going to explore the atmosphere and ionosphere of Mars.
Unfortunately NASA shut down on its 55th anniversary yesterday due to the government shutdown.  Universe Today posted an article explaining what the government shut down means for NASA.  Which includes the possibility that MAVEN might miss the launch window and have to wait until 2016.  See the article at Universe Today. --> What Does The Government Shutdown Mean For NASA?

Geeky Food

This week, while poking around on the internet, I came across a web series I had forgotten about.  Nerdy Nummies.  I soon after found Quake N Bake.  These two series feature instructional videos on how to make nerd related sweets like these Minecraft character sugar cookies.   They came out looking really good.  Maybe someday I will try to make them.  Imagine creeper cookies.  Ahhhh!

Comments

  1. I'm with you on the e-reader vs. book thing. I don't think paper books will ever be obsolete. I do find the idea of an e-reader convenient in some ways, but it's just not the same as holding an actual book in your hands. And I love books too much to convert to a digital library in place of a nice shelf of paper books.

    I catch a little bit of NASA news from stuff KurtJMac retweets. Interesting stuff!

    Now I'm going to have to check those links out! And that made me think of a blog I bookmarked a while back: Gourmet Gaming. They create real recipes out of foods that are found in various video games. :D Creeper cookies = awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been loving the fact that KurtMac talks about space flight and NASA in his Far Lands or Bust videos. I have also caught some of his retweets.

      Hm. I have added Gourmet Gaming to my bookmarks. I may have to make some gamalicious treats before the next game night. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment