Writing Locales


     Do you have a dedicated space to write?  I have a desk with my computer.  I can listen to music and even open the shades a bit so I get some nice rays of sun while I work.  But I don't always work from my desk.  I like to do my brainstorming, outlining, and planing away from the distractions offered by my computer.  There are plenty of other places to do writing work or even actual writing.  The thing to think of is "What works for you?"  Or rather, "Where works for you?"  If you like to get plenty of sun and enjoy the myriad of outdoor sounds, you could try parks and gardens.  Even your own patio or backyard can serve as enough of a scene change to get your creativity in gear or sharpen your focus.  I often like to go to the coffee shop to do some out lining and brainstorming.  Especially when I am working on blog posts.  Part of it is the myriad of sounds.  My friend, Lacy, turned me on to Coffitivity.  It is a great site that gives you the sounds of being in a coffee shop.  Which can be great to work to if silence is not your thing.

    There are lots of different places to work.  There are libraries and book stores, if the tempting books won't lure you away from your work.  I have even gone to restaurants or buffets by myself and worked there over lunch.  Howard Tayler, creator of Schlock Mercenary, does a part of his work process at a gaming store.  There are plenty of options out there.  You just have to open your mind to the possibilities and be aware of the pros and cons.

    So tell me, where have you tried or succeeded in writing?  


Writing Exercise:  A New Locale


    Pick a location you have been in the last 48 hours.  Pick five words that describe the location in some fashion.  Now write a short piece or poem about a fictional location that uses those five words.  The fictional location does not have to be the same kind of place as the real one.  You only need to use the five words.

Comments

  1. I used to write a lot in my room, sitting on my bed. However, when I'm in there I almost always have the TV on, so it's not a very good place to focus. I want to start working at my desk more (not just when I'm playing around online), but there are definitely some things I'd like to change about my space. The lighting in my office is terrible, and the lamp near my desk doesn't help much. It just feels a bit gloomy, and it doesn't help that my desk is in a corner and almost always a bit of a mess. I want to try to get a better lamp soon.

    Also, I would really like to get out and write in other places too, like at the book store or a park or something. It'd be a nice change of scenery, and might help me feel more energized and inspired!

    Maybe I can even put together my own playlist of songs that make me feel inspired or that somehow make me think of my characters or certain parts of my stories. That would be a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the desk. Mine seems to get really, really cluttered. I am getting better at managing it. Bad lighting is not good. Maybe, until you find a better lamp, you could use a different bulb. I don't know anything about the different bulbs and the light they give, but I am sure someone out there must have covered the subject.

      You should definitely get out and write. It almost always helps me.

      The play lists sounds like a great idea. Just don't spend too much time on it and not enough writing. I have character boards on pinterest that are super helpful and even have music on them. But I have to be careful that I don't get sucked in. Then again doing something creative that is related to your writing may be helpful in getting your flow going.

      Delete
  2. I should definitely research different bulb options for my current lamp. I just hate this dingy, yellow-tinged light it gives off.

    I have a couple of private boards for different stories on Pinterest as well. It's sort of like creating a collage of your characters, their interests, styles, abilities, etc. But I'm so with you on the not getting sucked in thing. I can see working on a project like that turning into something really time consuming if I let it, and that would be rather counterproductive. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the one I am using right now. It is an ultra mini 13W 120V 60Hz 210mA. Or rather it is one of those newer spirally shaped bulbs. It has probably been in my lamp at least a year now. So it has good longevity.

      The private boards are so useful. Don't get lost. Remember to write.

      Delete

Post a Comment