Playing With Decor: My Maps

Wall Clock With World Map
Found this beauty at a dollar store.  What luck?

    Some people have stamps.  I have maps.  Not an enormous collection the size of which requiring a filing cabinet.  Though admittedly I certainty wouldn't mind having that some day in the future.  I started this collection at a young age.  I am not even sure when.  It must have started with just one or two.  I am sure I had three at least by the time I was twelve.  I have eight now, plus my globe.  When I count them up I feel like I really don't have that many and should really get a few more.  But for the moment only six of them fit on my sitting room walls.

My Map Collection
One Wall  In My Sitting Room.

    I must say that my sitting room looks a much more welcoming place now that I have adorned it with most of my collection.  I am not sure what it is I love about maps.  Maybe like books they are a means of transporting a person to other places.  Or perhaps it is the easy visual display of information.  There is so much you can see by looking over a map.  You can learn capitals and the proximity of cities to one another.  You can get an idea of the land features.  I have spent a good bit of time gazing over maps, both in my home and at libraries.  I especially like old maps.  It is wonderful to see what once was and what still is.

    One of the maps that did not make it to the wall is my Texas road map.  It would seem that the state is so large that half the state is on the front side of the paper and the other half of Texas is on the back side of the paper.  I did not like the idea of only seeing half the state.  Much like the fact that I do not like buying half a book for college courses.  I want the whole thing.  I figure I'll see if I can get my hands on another copy of this map so I can post up the whole state.  It will take a large chunk of wall.  It would be fun to pin all the places I have been and want to go.  But this really holds true for all of my maps.  Well, maybe not all.  I have one old world map.

Old World Map
My Old World Map.

    I am happy to say that I am very pleased with the look of my sitting room now.  It looks far more like a home with the walls dressed up.  I had found a cute wall clock that was perfect to go with all the maps last year and it has been very lonely until now.  I look forward to adding more trinkets over time and collecting more maps.  Some kinds of maps and globes I think I would like to add to my collection are:

  • A current globe.  Mine is about two decades old.  
  • Moon and Mars globes.  
  • A star map.  
  • Maybe even a map of the solar system.  I think I may have had one of these when I was younger.  No clue what happened to it.  
  • I would also like to add a fantasy world map to my collection.  I am not sure which one, but I think it would be an interesting addition.   

World Map And Jade Gourd
Here is my newest map and my jade gourd.


    One of my winter goals was to decorate my home.  It took some time to get to it, but it was well worth it.  If you have not dressed up your home or if you feel like you need to change it up a bit take some time to do it.  Do you have any collections?  Have you decorated recently or are you hoping to?  Tell me about it.  

Comments