4 Tips For Being More Productive And Working Toward Your Goals

An angel leaning on a crescent moon
Image from The Graphics Fairy

    Life can feel hectic. It can feel like we aren't making any progress.  Then we turn around and see that we have been doing a lot of procrastinating and generally being distracted.  With all these distractions and a seeming lack of discipline on our part how do we keep our compass pointing true?

    We can all lose direction from time to time.  So, rather than wasting the time and effort on chastising and being ashamed of ourselves, lets pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get to work.

Goals and Daily To-Do Lists

    When I find that my life is going a little wonky and I feel out of my own control I start making a to do list for each day.  This helps me keep on track.  Gala Darling has two posts I reread anytime I want to calibrate my life's compass this way.

    In these posts she talks about goal setting and a really effective way to set daily tasks.

Make Your Work Fun

    Work is hard enough whether you want to do it or not.  Why not find a way to make it more enjoyable.

    There are many ways to accomplish this and they are different for each person and each task.  Maybe the right type of music will keep you working at a good pace.  Or maybe you need to have a little treat for yourself after you do an hour or two of work.  Or maybe you would enjoy the work more if you were in a group.

    Yesterday I was reading over at Superheroesque.  They linked to a fun looking app.  HabitRPG turns your tasks and habits into a game.  An app like this could add some much needed incentive into breaking those habits of procrastination.

    There are lots of things out there to try so don't be afraid to experiment.

Remember What You Want to Achieve Is Important  

    It can be especially hard to remember that your life goals are important when everyone and everything is biding for your time.  I know I have had my share of people telling me that my writing is a waste of time.  If you hear this from people don't listen to them.  If writing is something you want to do then do it.  Don't wait.  Make time for yourself.  This goes for other goals too.  Drawing, mathematics, sprinting.  If you want to be good at something take the time to learn it.

Remember to make time for yourself

Take Care of Yourself

    There is no sense in working late into the night only to lose all productiveness in the following day.  Be sure that you take time to eat and sleep and all the other things you need between work.  I am not unfamiliar with working myself till I can do nothing for several days afterwards.  This is not a good habit to keep.  Take care of your health.

Get Well Soon
Image from The Graphics Fairy

    I hope these tips are helpful to you.  Go for your goals!  You can do it!

    Now for a Monday writing exercise. 

Writing Exercise: To-Do List

    Create a to-do list for one of your own characters.  You can write this down as a simple list or you can write a passage about your character writing the list themselves or maybe even working through their list.  What kind of things would be on your characters to-do list?

Comments