May Try-Its



    Often times I hear people talk about how important it is to set 1, 5, and 10 year goals.  I also hear them talk about setting incremental goals.  It is a great way to feel like you are making progress and that feeling can help you make it to your bigger goals.

    Do you have long term goals?  And are they written down?

    Are there some short term goals that would help you work toward those bigger goals?  Or are there some things you would like to try out on the side?

    Each month I make a list of try-its.  It is a list of month long (or shorter) goals and new things I want to try and do that month.  I find it fun and it can be totally different each month.

    Over the course of setting my try-its each month I have learned that a shorter list is better for me.  This may be different for you.  It is going to depend on how much time and effort you are going to have to put in for each try-it (goal).

    Will you join me in setting a list of try-its for May?  It can be anything you want to do.  You can clean out your email.  You can try a new habit or hobby.  Or maybe you just want to try watching that show all your friends are talking about.

    This month I am going to:

  • Finish reading a book.
    I am in the middle of two novels and am skimming through some non-fiction. I'd like to finish at least one of the novels soon and start reading "Homeland" by R. A. Salvatore next.

  • Make time each day to work on my 13 Spring Goals
    April was a testing month on the goals for several different reasons.  I'd like to make some good progress this month.  Setting aside time every day should mean that I can't say I didn't have time.

  • Spend at least one  hour every day working on my fiction project.
    I have been neglecting this major project lately for other writing projects.  But I did a lot of thinking about it this past month.  I need to get that thinking on the page where it will do me some good and not just fade away.

  • Write a to-do list the day before
    I always felt so much more productive and on track when I planned my next day before bed.  I would write down everything and then mark which were a higher priority.  Then I would rewrite everything in the new order.  (Highest priority first)

    What do you say?  Will you join me?  I'd love to hear what it is you want to try.

Comments