Self-Love: Is Buying Yourself Flowers

Flowers

    Self-Love is important.  And there are so many ways to practice it.  In one of her recent posts, Radical Self Love Manifesto, Gala Darling talks about radical self-love and what it is.  Gala has some great posts on self-love.  One of the things I love to do for my own personal self-love routine is to buy myself flowers.  They are so pretty and just looking at them makes me happy.  As a lifestyle lolita let me quote a line from Princess Skye's "The Princess Code."

A Princess should be given fresh flowers everyday, even if she has to give them to herself.1 
    Now I certainly do not give myself new flowers everyday, yet most days I do have beautiful flowers to admire.  I like to keep them in the little pass through window of my kitchen.  There I can gaze at them while I wash the dishes and also see them if I am in the living room.  They really brighten my day.

    Do you like flowers?  You don't have to wait for someone else to buy them for you.  I have talked to plenty of people while perusing the flower choices.  Some of them have remarked that one of the benefits of buying your own flowers is that you chose them.  Which ever flower you like. (as long as it is in stock)  No hoping that the person knows what you like.  Though it is a fun surprise to get flowers from someone else.

Carnations

    You don't have to spend lots of money on your flowers either.  There are plenty of affordable ways to enjoy the look of flowers.

Fresh Cut Flowers

    One of my favorite options is the section of assorted flowers at my local grocer.  For four dollars and tax I can get a small bunch of flowers or filler.  There are baby's breath, carnations, gerbera daisies, and even roses.  Where I buy my flowers they have listed on the bundles how long the flowers should last.  Gerbera daisies are great looking, but only last for 3 or 4 days.  Carnations and alstroemeria on the other hand last for about 2 weeks.  One of my personal favorites from this section has been the purple mardi gra aster flowers.  If you choose a flower that lasts two weeks that comes out to less than ten dollars a month on your flowers.

    My local grocer also has a small selection of vases that get changed out with the seasons and holidays.  This is a good place to look for new vases. The price on these varies though.   Some great places to score vases at lower prices are thrift shops and garage sales.  Second hand can come at a great price.  The added benefit of second hand is that the item could be very unique.  And at the lower price you might feel more comfortable getting out the craft supplies and modifying your new vase.

    If you are not interested in having to replace the flowers quite so often or do not like the idea of the flowers dying there are still plenty of options.

Living Plants

    Potted plants and seeds are only two of the options you can try your hand at.  It just matters how much space you have and what kind of plants or flowers you want.  It can be a bit of work watering and trimming or replanting you live plant.  But it is totally worth it to see your plant grow and eventually bloom.  I currently am enjoying a miniature rose plant.  It has a wonderful fragrance too.  After I smelt it at the store it had to come home with me.

    If you have a black thumb or just don't want to have to worry about the upkeep of your flowers there are still more options to choose from.

Artificial Flowers

Artificial Flowers

    Artificial flowers come in a variety of qualities and price ranges.  You can even find nice looking ones at the dollar stores.  I used an artificial sunflower recently in a craft I did for my kitchen.  The sunflower was from the dollar store and though it clearly looks artificial it is still pretty.  On the other hand last year I got a friend a realistic looking artificial rose.  After we added some rose oil to scent it people seriously thought it was real.  The texture of the petals was one of the selling points for me.  They have a thick velvety feel to them.  Check out the craft supply store to see some of the neat tools and supplies you could use to make a beautiful piece of art for your home with artificial flowers.  And bonus, you never need to remember to water them.

Crafting Options

    If you are a crafty person there are so many options out there for you.  Origami and ribbon roses are just two of the options I have seen.  Here are a few links that just scratch the surface of possibilities.
Ribbon Roses Tutorial by Violet LeBeaux
DIY Giant Crepe Paper Roses by Kelly
Here is an old post from Charlotte’s Fancy with a few simple tutorials listed.  [Crafty Monday] Wedding Flowers
And her are the results of a Pinterest search for "Origami Flowers"

    For more ideas don't forget to check out your local library for books on arts & crafts, flower arranging, or gardening.  The library can be a wonderful place to find things.

    It always makes me happy to have pretty things in my home to look at.  My home is the one place that I can truly control my surroundings for what ever mood I want to create.  Flowers are especially nice.  They can brighten your day and you deserve them.  Do you treat yourself with flowers?



1 You can find a copy of Princess Skye's "The Princess Code" at Victoria Suzanne's wonderful blog Parfait Doll. http://www.parfaitdoll.com/2012/09/the-princess-code.html

Comments