Pages

August 4, 2014

Planning For Writing: My Plan

Vintage image of young girl and plushy cat at a type writer
Image from The Graphics Fairy

    I try to write as much as I can.  However, I have been identifying problems over the years.  Actually I wouldn't even call them all problems.  It is more a matter of learning how my creativity and endurance works and using them and exercising them accordingly.  Especially in these times where I am pushing my ability on a regular basis, and even more so now with two major writing projects, I feel that I may benefit from more organization.  As such I set as one of  my August Try-Its to add more structure and planning to my writing habit.  

    The first thing I would like to try is to plan out what I am going to write more.  I already set aside time to plan ahead for the blog.  I think I could also use this time to plan out what I am going to try and work on each day.  Which posts will I work on?  What research and planning will I do? (For both blogging and my novel)  What scenes do I want to write?  I don’t imagine that these plans will be followed to a T.  But I may benefit from creating a plan.  

    Another issue I have run into is that I can burn out.  I still remember writing over five thousand words in one day for NaNoWriMo once.  I couldn't write a thing the following day.  I had exhausted myself.  I have had similar periods of exhaustion since I started the blog.  I would like to try setting aside one day a week to simply not write.  This sounds weird to me, yet I know that spending time not writing helps me recharge my creativity.  I may benefit  from a day off every week.  A day to just go out and play or stay in and read.  A day to hang out with friends or game.  

   So I have an idea to try out over the next few weeks.  I will create a 7 day writing work schedule for myself.  I will plan the next week the day before I take my day off, that way it won’t be worried about what I am going to do the next day.  I’ll see how well this works.  

    Do you plan out your writing or just fly by the seat of your pants?  

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...