Lolita 52 Challenge: Vol. 19 - Parasols: Vital or frivolous?


   Hello there! ♥  ♥  This is my nineteenth post for the Lolita 52 Challenge created by +Caro Dee of FYeah Lolita.  Which is a great blog to visit whether you are new to lolita or a have been dressing in it for years.  If you love lolita fashion, go check out the list .  It is fun to blog about or to use as conversation starters at meet ups.  Each Saturday I will answer one of the questions on the list.  Last week I talked about How I Accessorize?.  This week I am talking about number forty six,  Parasols: Vital or frivolous?  If you'd like to see the rest of my answers they are all listed under my Lolita 52 Challenge tag.


    Let's start off with two facts.  I am pale and I live in south Texas.  It gets hot down here.  Our summer days easily push over 100°F.  For those of you outside the United States that is about 38°C.  I remember working one summer were the heat index put the apparent temperature at 116°F (46.6°C) also known as just stay inside and drink lots of water.  A parasol can serve as your own personal, portable shade.

    I wouldn't say, even in my region, that the parasol is either frivolous or vital.  It is a personal choice.  It certainly can be a convenience.  And it can add an air of cuteness or elegance to your look.  There are several options out there to chose from.  I got my parasol from a little antique store years ago.  It was a simple white lace parasol, but it served me so well.  It currently needs to be mended as a kitty at an old residence gnawed on part of it.

    There are several different options for getting your own parasol.  You don't have to look far either.  Many of the brands have sold beautiful parasols.  Just take a look here on Lolibrary.  Then there are at least a hand full of Victorian companies that sell lovely trinkets and clothing.  Two that I'd love to pick up a parasol from are Ladies Emporium and Victorian Trading Co.  Or go check out Etsy.  You can even use an umbrella.  Picking one of these up at the store won't get you something as elegant as some of the other options and it probably won't match your coord, but if you are just looking for something functional that can keep you dry too it is a great option to have.  I like to get cute umbrellas that really pop out.  Polka dots, patterns, a little extra frill.  They can make a real statement and keep you from getting wet or burned.

Can-Can Lace Umbrella from Victorian Trading Co.

    Now the parasol and the umbrella both have their down sides.  Including the fact that they take up space.  I am a very hands free person when it comes to fashion and other things.  A good example is that I prefer my purses with shoulder straps.  I don't like to have to carry things in my hands.  it just gets inconvenient and cumbersome.  This is one of the advantages of my current umbrella.  It folds up and telescopes to a compact size that I can fit into a bag.  Another solution that I see more with Steampunks is the parasol holster.  I think this would be an interesting thing to try. Though it may take some trial and error to get it to work with straight up lolita fashion.  

White Clip-on Leather Steampunk Parasol Holster with Fan Pocket
 from Attic Raiders
    Those are just a few of my thoughts on parasols.  Do you have any questions?  Do you have any thoughts on parasols yourself?  Have you ever used one yourself?

Disclaimer:  I have not personally purchased anything from any of the shops linked above.  So I can not personally vouch for their quality, customer service, or speed of delivery.  I suggest checking reviews before making a decision to purchase anything.  Have fun and stay frilly.  

Comments