Looking Ahead to February

[Image description] vintage illistration of two children baking red heart cookies in an old timey kitchen.  A wood burning stove and a calender set to february is in the background.  The image is framed by several hearts arranged in the shape of a heart.
Image from The Graphics Fairy 

    Death to normalcy

    I am the kind of person who loves GISHWHES, NaNoWriMo, and April Fools Day.  Any excuse to do something different, exciting, or just a little weird. 

    I’ve worked in a group to create a life size snow globe scene, I’ve written 50,000 words in 30 days (more than once), I have dressed up as a mobster and buried my friends neck deep in the sand.   And there is still more fun and weird to go before this lifetime is up. 

    One of the themes I chose for this year is Magical.  And the smiles and the joy I get out of these antics is definitely a bit of magic.  One thing that can help beat back that melancolic monotony and the daily grind is taking part in fun weird holidays.  And there are so many to choose from. 

    Along with being National Cherry Month and American Heart Month, February is Black History Month.  I don’t know about what all they are teaching in schools now, but my education was rather lax on this topic.  So why not do some digging and learn about great people of history.  Or take a trip to a museum.  Bonus!  Go with friends. 

    One activity that has become a tradition for my Februaries is the “A Month of Letters Challenge.”  Try to send 24 items of mail throughout the month.  And maybe make some new friends. 

[Image description] Vintage art work of a pink open fan with fluffy white tips. An oval image sits infront of the fan framed by small dropping white flowers.  The image is of a house in a snowy field.
Image from The Graphics Fairy 

    And of course there are all sorts of fun holidays besides Valentines and presidents day.  Holiday Insights has them listed by month.  Here are a few that I like. 

Feb 3    Feed the Birds Day  

Feb 7    Send a Card to a Friend Day 

Feb 11    Make a Friend Day 

Feb 19    Chocolate Mint Day

Feb 26    Tell a Fairy Tale Day 

    And this is just what I know of.  Maybe you know something else fun to check out.  Keep it weird and don’t let the monotony get you down.


Lilian A. Brennan

Comments