Some thoughts on Self-Care when you have Depression

Brightly colored chalk on concrete reading, "I have depression."  A bright sun drawn in the top right corner and little line art roses scattered throughout.

    I have had depression as long as I can remember.  I do not remember a time in my life when I didn't have this deep sadness that would seep in.  I did have good experiences and happy times, but often that sadness would creep into those.  And after a lot of time and thought and practice and some therapy, I can say that I have some tools to help manage my depression. 

    It is important to take care of my body.  Sleep, food, water, medicine, bathing.  The list goes on and it is no easy feat.  The depression steals away your energy.  I find that having a regular breakfast routine has been extremely helpful.  It's basically the same thing almost everyday, and it makes it easier to take my medicine and vitamins regularly and build a morning routine around that.   

    I have also found, especially during that morning routine, I need a lot of quiet time. If there is too much noise and activity around me I tend to get over stimulated and shut down.  I've started to try meditating more regularly.  That has been nice.  And having a clean room gives me a place to go to rest away from noise and people if I need it.  So I have been slowly trying to use the KonMari method to tidy all my things. 

    Then there are some of the things that some people may think of as frivolous.  The little things that make me happy.  And when you are depressed having little bits of happy is self-care.  Not just icing on the cake, but vital. 

    I like to keep my nails painted.  I am not a fan of painting them, but I have gotten better at that.  Once they are painted they make me more aware and appreciative of my surroundings.  And not because I am trying not to ding them on things.  The color of the nails makes me notice the things I am touching.  I notice the color of what ever I am touching and then I will notice the color of my nails.  It's a really lovely experience that helps to keep me grounded in the here and now. 

    I also like smells.  The smell of the scented wax.  The smell of my food.  The smell of fresh washed bedding.  I also like sound.  Music is so helpful in keeping me on task and I can pick something with a bright mood or something with a relaxing tone if I need it. 

    There is a lot that goes into taking care of ourselves.  And I am glad that I have made it this far. 

Lilian A. Brennan



All through September I will be trying to blog daily for September Blogfest

Comments