Things I Love Thursday: Reading

[Image description]  Words reading "Things I Love Thursday," in three slightly offset layers each in a different color.  Light purple, cream, and brown.
    I have recently been reading more again.  I had almost forgotten how nice it is.  The last few nights I have been reading every night.  I'd really like to continue this.  I can also see now why I had gone so long with out reading. 

  1. Noise levels.
  2. Feeling like I needed to do other things. And
  3. Not having a book I wanted to read at the moment I wanted to read.  
    Quite some time ago I realized that I needed to not listen to other peoples issues with the fact that I will be reading multiple books at the same time.  Reading multiple books at a time gives you options for reading time.  And you are not always in the mood to read Bram Stoker's Dracula.  (Yes I read that for pleasure.) 

      It is a pretty busy household and dyslexia means that I do better with reading in a quiet place.  I also tend to read a loud.  It helps.  So I don't really want to be reading aloud while everyone else is doing other stuff.  It . . . feels weird . . . and disruptive.  Even if no one is disturbed.  

    How many of us feel guilty about doing things we want to do?  There will always be chores to do.  And there will always be some person telling you how they think you should be living your life.  

    News Flash!!! 

    It is your life!  They have their own life.  If you want to read more.  Read more!  If you want to write a book, you got to write.  If you want to learn astrophysics and complex number theory, you have a lot of studying to do.  (Maybe that last one is just me.)   

    That is a thing I find myself constantly having to work on.  Maybe it is like confidence.  Or maybe it IS confidence.  I know confidence is a sort of use it or lose it skill.  

    At least for now I have found space and made time for reading.  

    As for number three, like I said I have, I really had to learn to not listen to other people and just have a pile of books that I was currently reading.  That means that there are options and if I feel like reading something light and fluffy I can and if I want to read something technical I can too.  

    So currently I am reading a handful of books.  
  1. Make Good Art by Neil Gaiman 
  2. Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya 
    1. I read it back when it came out but I was never able to finish the series since I couldn't afford to keep buying them.  But a friend has all of them so I decided to read them and see how the manga goes and ends.   
  3. Coconut Milk Ice Cream: 80+ Vegan & Grain-free Recipes by Aimee Ryan 
    1. I have had some health issues and this is looking like it will be an interesting thing to try.
  4. Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2) by Scott Lynch 
    1. This one has been slow going because emotions have been really difficult to deal with for several months now and this has a lot of emotional stress in it, but I love the way this man writes.   
  5. The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star (The Worst Witch #7) by Jill Murphy 
    1. This one just recently became available on Bookshare so I downloaded it and I am just waiting to read it.  I will probably start it soon.  But once I start I will probably finish it all in two or three sitting if not just one.  So I need to make sure I have time to read before starting.   
    And that is my current reading stack.  And I am loving it.  Well time to go read for the night.  Have fun.  And hey what are y'all readin'?

Till next time, 
Lilian A. Brennan

Comments