Dairy-Free Spiced Pecan Cookies

Pecan cookies on a floral plate.  Text reads: Dairy-Free Spiced Pecan Cookies.  Watermark reads: petticoatpedaler.blogspot.com

    Last year I was forced to cut dairy out of my diet and it has led to some experimentation in the kitchen.  I had previously made some chocolate chip style cookies with caramel chips and pecans.  If you are looking for some new flavors this is an easy way to experiment.  See what flavored chips or other such add ins like nuts are in the baking isle and replace the chocolate chips with those.  If you can find them cherry chips and caramel chips go very well together.  The cookies I made were okay, but I realized that I would have rather skipped the caramel chips and just had the the pecans.  This new food restriction, no butter or dairy, gave me a great excuse to try something new. 

    I wanted a little more flavor to these cookies so I asked my best friend for some spice advice.  I chose to work with the spices cardamom , nutmeg, and allspice.  I also chose to work with coconut oil as a butter replacement.  I loved how the cookies turned out and they did not make it to the next day.  mmm.


Dairy-Free Spiced Pecan Cookie Recipe


    Ingredients


1  ⅛ C.     AP Flour (All Purpose Flour)

½ Tsp.  Baking soda

½ Tsp.      Salt

½ C.         Coconut Oil

⅜ C.     Granulated Sugar

⅜ C.      Packed Dark Brown Sugar

½ Tsp.       Vanilla Extract

1           Large Egg

1 C.           Chopped Pecans

⅛ Tsp.   Cardamom

⅛ Tsp.   Nutmeg

⅛ Tsp.   Allspice


    Instructions


Dry Ingredients
  • Sift together AP Flour, Baking soda, Salt, Cardamom, Nutmeg, & Allspice.  (I use a mesh strainer)

Wet Ingredients
  • Cream Coconut Oil, Sugars, & Vanilla Extract until fluffy.  
  • Add egg (one at a time if recipe doubled) & beat well.  

Combine
  • Slowly incorporate dry mix into the wet mix. 
  • Mix in nuts.  

Refrigerate  
  • Place cookie dough in airtight container or bag and let sit in fridge for several hours or over night.   (You can skip this step, but I wanted to give the flavors time to develop)

Bake
  • Take out of fridge and allow to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. 
  • Preheat oven to 375°F
  • Scoop out the dough with a spoon or a scoop to get evenly sized cookies.  
  • Tip: I roll each cookie into a ball between my hands, so that I get nice roundish cookies and to make it easier to gauge if the cookies are about the same size.  (I don't have scoops)  
  • Leave space between the dough balls.  The cookies will spread. (about 1 to 2 inches should do)
  • Bake in oven for 9 to 11 minutes.  (Time may vary depending on the size of cookies you make and the performance of your oven.  You are aiming for golden brown.)

Notes

    I am sorry to say that I did not count the cookies the recipe produced.  So I can't say how many you can get out of a batch.  Though this will vary depending on how big you like your cookies.  You could easily double the recipe to get more cookies if you find it is not enough.  Also you can probably use light brown sugar instead of dark, I just don't like how much the light brown sugar clumps so I never use it.  

    I hope you find this recipe useful.  I will certainly be making it again and I am also looking forward to pushing some of the flavors a little more and experimenting with other flavor options.  Happy baking.  

Lilian A. Brennan

Comments