A Problem with Weight Loss Apps

Content Warning:  Food, Diet, Abuse, Weight loss and gain, Tracking calories

    I have a complaint. 

    Now I understand that most of the apps for tracking your food intake are designed for weight loss.  Or at least it really seems that way.  But even my friends think there should be a setting to say that you want to maintain your weight or even gain weight.  I agree. 

    The app I am using does have a part where you can tell it you want to maintain your weight.  However, after using it that seems more from the perspective of someone who has lost the weight they want and now doesn’t want to gain that weight back

    For some context I have troubles with food and eating.  Due to an illness a long time ago I don’t always feel the pangs of hunger.  Mix that with depression & other issues and a lot of times I just forget to eat.  Or I will just get brain fog or exhausted.  (because I haven’t eaten)  If I do feel hunger pains and I’ve already eaten that day I will get confused.  “I shouldn’t be hungry.  I’ve already eaten today.” (face-palm. We are supposed to eat multiple times a day brain.)  These bits at least I can laugh at.  There are several issues I have developed around food as a result of being abused. 

    So I like to use some kind of app to track my food intake so that I know that I have had enough food in a day.  It also lets me see how much sugar and protein I have had.  I recently got new dietary restrictions which make it very difficult to get enough calories in a day and very tricky to get enough protein.  The app should be a useful tool to help me take care of myself, but instead I have run into a couple issues that really make it uncomfortable. 

    Issue 1) Several months ago I got very ill and couldn’t even keep water down.  As a result I lost 9% of my weight in less than a week.  When I entered my new weight into the app it congratulated me.  Confetti and fanfare.  My immediate feeling at this was, “Fuck you too.”  I had set in that I wanted to maintain weight.  And I am not a doctor, but I have a feeling that it isn’t healthy to suddenly loos that much of your weight. 

    Issue 2) I can’t eat meat or most breads.  It is really hard for me to eat enough calories in a day without resorting to eating lots of sugar.  Getting to that calorie count is sort of my goal.  Or at least near it.  I am also okay with a little bit above it.  Apparently the app isn’t.  Even one calorie over the target and it turns red.  It feels shameful.  It brings up those feelings of abuse. 

    Now I know that a lot of the rhetoric in our society for women and people perceived as women is all “lose weight”, “be thin.”  There is fat shaming and unhealthy diets.  There is a lot of problematic stuff out there. 

    And I just need a little help to make sure I am eating every day.  Maybe there is a better app out there for my situation.  I don’t know.  I do know this app keeps suggesting that I pay for their premium version.  Well that ain’t gonna happen. 

    Anyway end of rant. 

Comments