Life & a Working Washing Machine

[Image Description] A photo of an octopus plushie I call Henry holding a green duster in three of his tentacles while sitting on top of a wooden table underneath an old map. Image is edited to look like a Polaroid with the bottom white section reading: XOXO - Henry

    So until very recently for the better part of a month we were without a working washing machine.  With just adults this would be annoying, but workable.  However, there are children in this home and children, especially babies, get sick and wet things.  Bad times. 

    Having a washing machine and a dryer in the home is very helpful for keeping things clean and very convenient.  I have definitely survived without one in the home.  I remember living in an apartment and due to lack of funds or lack of quarters from time to time having to hand wash things.  I would fill the bathtub and do my best to scrub things.  In one attempt I learned that this is horrible with towels.  They get too heavy to manage and I sort of swore it off.  But alas many years later, this past month, I found myself needing to do it again. 

    I have learn an important tip for the task in the future, though I hope to not have to do it again for at least another ten years.  It is way easier to clean towels if you have two people to ring then out.  So yeah if you ever have to hand wash towels get a friend to help.  At least for the ringing out part.  You will almost never get all the soap out otherwise. 

    But gloriously we finally got a working washing machine and I spent the better part of two or three days running loads.  Bonus points for washing my bedding and having that delightful fresh smell to lull me to sleep. 

Comments