Working on Tidying My Space, KonMari

    Back in 2015 I read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" when Marie Kondo’s method of tidying, KonMari, was making its rounds.  I started on my own tidying festival shortly afterwards. 

    But there were pitfalls and things that got in my way.  And let’s be very honest, getting anything done with depression is more than often an uphill battle.  So after several months of putting off tidying, not intentionally but rather just never quite getting to the next task, I decided to start over.  And even then I ran into  some of the same pitfalls. 

    Her Netflix show that came out this year was very helpful.  Seeing Mrs. Kondo talk about tidying and giving suggestions gave me a little boost.  It gave me the right feeling and the right energy to kick start the process back up again and to keep it going.  It also helps that I am taking antidepressants regularly. 

    I have finished clothes and books.  I have gone through papers, but I feel they might need another run through before I am done.  I am currently working my way through the komono or miscellaneous category.  Large and sprawling.  Intimidating. 

    Making a little checklist really seems to help.  I went back through her first book and made a list in the order she suggests.  Adding sections that I know will be important for me and breaking up some categories into relevant subcategories. 

    Yesterday I went through my spiritual items.  It was a group that I had put further down the list.  But I had found that I really wanted to sort it and clean out the place it all goes in.  I feel better having it all sorted, but it is all in a box in the middle of the room and the set up needs to be put back up.  That will be a task for later today. 

    I find that I have a lot of things that I have held onto for very toxic reasons.  I’d like to talk about that later on some time.  But for the moment I take comfort in knowing that this process gives me a chance to face those issues. 

    That’s all for today.  Do you have any thoughts on the method Marie Kondo has come up with?  Have you read any of her books? 

Comments