A Strangeness in Being Nocturnal

    There is a strangeness in being nocturnal.  If you are not aware I am a day sleeper.  The nights offer far more quiet time in which to work and even enjoy media.  But there are some bits that make it a little odd.  Even disorientating. 

    I already have a bad sense of time.  I have always had some trouble.  Days weeks and years run in and out of each other sometimes.  Now add to the mix waking up on a Tuesday, staying up through the night, and going to sleep on a Wednesday.  Now there are just more factors making it difficult to remember what day of the week it is. 

    Being awake at night also has some other things that you have to work through.  At least in the beginning.  I remember years ago when I started working a night shift at my new job.  I had questions that I had to answer and things I had to figure out.  One of those that was slightly more humorous was, "If your nocturnal when do you drink?"  The answer I came to at the time was about 7 or 8 in the morning before bed. 

    There was also this habit I got into especially when greeting the other workers on the overnight shift.  I would tell them good morning when we arrived and good night when we were all going home.  The greeting and time of day all seemed more relative than anything. 

    Later on when I was having to switch between day shifts and night shifts on a more than weekly basis I ran into some worse problems.  The kind that can cause health issues.  "When do I sleep?"  "When do I eat?"  Granted that was more from getting almost a whiplash having to change my sleep schedule back and forth constantly, sometimes having to stay away for more than 24 hours to switch over.  Those weren't great times. 

    But now is better.  The night is such a quiet time in which to write and read and create.  I just have to decide when the best time is to take breaks for food.  But even still I have trouble knowing what day of the week it is. 

    Like even if I can tell you it is Wednesday I still have trouble truly understanding that it is Wednesday.  As if it is a word with out meaning. 

Good night,
Lilian

Comments