Me Is Not Inherently Selfish

[Image Description] Two connected purple flowers with five long round petals each sticking up out of a patch of clover.

    I was meditating the other day and I realized a theme that runs through many of my issues. 

    Selfish.  

     Through many of my abusive relationships I have been told that I am selfish or that things I do or think or want are selfish.  Some of these things are in no way selfish.  Like wanting to eat at least once a day.  Or wanting to have food that I am not allergic to. 

    These are very clear signs that those interactions, those relationships were abusive or toxic in nature. 

    But the problem is if you get told something over and over again, by several different people, or over many years, you start to believe it. 

    And it is not as simple as deciding not to believe that one thing.  Because each toxic belief is tied to several others.  Each belief interplays with different parts of your life and limits certain thoughts.  Like a tangled web of lies.  And you have to follow each toxic belief through the web and see what you need to untangle it from. 

    One of those things seems to be the word and the concept me.  I realized through meditation that I have been taught to believe that the word me is inherently selfish. 

    I am going to have to untangle that. 

    If I ever want to do the things that I want to do.  If I ever want to  live the life that I want to live.  I have to believe that I am not selfish for doing so.   

    Because,

It is not selfish to do what you want to do.  

It is not selfish to do what you are meant to do.  

Me is not inherently selfish.  

Comments