My Official NaNoWriMo 2020 Announcement

[Image Description] Brick covered background with four separate windows depicting the writing spaces of four separate writers.  Words across top read NaNoWriMo 2020 Writer.
Image from NaNoWriMo

So it has been a few years. Four actually. The last time I participated in NaNoWriMo was in November of 2016. It’s been a rocky four years. 


Stares off into the distance of this the year of 2020 . . . 

[Image Description] Vintage image of a woman with tousled dark curls looks over her shoulder in a peach off the shoulder dress.
Image from The Graphics Fairy


It’s been a rocky four years. 


But I decided I am participating. 


I have slayed this challenge before and I now have accessibility to write with. 

I’m dyslexic. 

So even on days when I can not understand the English language I can still dictate to the computer and make it read it back to me. 


I wonder how much faster I can write on a good day with accessibility.  I wonder if I've gotten slower since I haven’t been writing as much. 


But speed really isn’t my goal. Getting 50k words in 30 days is a goal. But the real goal is just making meaningful progress on this long standing project. 


I've learned this terrible habit of not prioritizing myself or my goals, because other people don't see them as important. And that is a habit I want to eradicate. 

I want to do things. 

I want to do things that matter to me. 

And I want to do them now, not never. 


So I need to make a habit of doing those things. 


[Image Description] Silhouette of an old typewriter from the side.
Image from The Graphics Fairy

I have found the balance of support and accountability in the NaNoWriMo community works well for me. If I am going to make this change in habit support is going to be important. 


If there was a way to get the same balance with other parts of a project, like the world building or prep I would be very excited to give that a try. Please let me know if you know of such a thing. 


But yeah. This is my official announcement, I am going to do NaNoWriMo this year. 

[Image Description] Square image of a gradient red background covered in rose vines and stars. In center is a yellow school pencil. Words read NaNoWriMo 2020 Writer.
Image from NaNoWriMo


Lilian A. Brennan





Comments