Is This How Superstitions Start?

    So here’s an interesting story from last New Year’s Eve. 

    So the tradition I’ve done, since I was a kid, to ring in the new year is I run outside and scream Happy New Year at the top of my lungs. It’s a lot of fun. It’s a little silly and simple, but I like it. 

    Well to ring in 2020 that is exactly what I did. Mind you I didn’t run, I walk with a cane so I moved quickly. I screamed in the new year and listened to the sound of people popping off fireworks in other parts of the neighborhood. 

    Then I heard a small noise down the street. Like claws hitting cement. I turned to see a dog running at me. 

    I made a split second decision to run, as fast as my body could carry me to the front door. 

    I had enough warning from the sound and I made it inside, slamming the door shut behind me. 

    It was stressful, but I sort of laughed it off later. But now I look at that situation and the state of 2020. I got chased back inside on New Year’s and then the pandemic led to me being stuck at home for 10 months of the year. 

    And I have to wonder. Is this how superstitions start? 

Comments