About A Million Takes Later

[Image Description] Photo of a single rink rose on a rose bush in front of a grey wood fence.

    Learning a new skill is scary. Actually no, scratch that, putting yourself out there learning a new skill is scary. I am learning to do videos. And it is not even just one skill. It’s how to use programs and equipment. It’s filming and audio. It’s script writing, which is different from the other writing I am more accustomed to. It’s video editing and lighting. And I am very pale, it’s a problem I am not sure how to tackle. There is so much to learn. And a big part of it is confidence. 

    Confidence is a funny thing. You may have more of it in one area than another. It may even start to degrade over time. I know I can perform in front of others. I have done a little theater. I’ve taught children. I used to sing in choir. I had no fear of performing songs. I would even forget the audience was there. But if you asked me to try and play the violin for others I’d get sheepish real quick. 

    The nice thing about the choir performances I did was I didn’t get to critic myself with video. But now I am trying to talk to the camera and judging every little hiccup in my voice and every odd facial expression. We really are our worst critics. 

    I don’t really have any advice for you today. Except put yourself out there and learn new things that excite you. I just thought sharing my fears and experience might help someone feel less alone.

Comments