Appreciation for Cottagecore

    I have to say I deeply appreciate the whole cottagecore aesthetic.  As well as other internet aesthetics. Similar to finding a term that describes your sexual or romantic orientation there is a benefit to having a word for a certain set of interests, styles, and tastes. And I for one am here for words that help us communicate better. 

    Before the term cottagecore there were some other terms I could use to find some of the things I was interested in. However a lot of those I had to search separately. Search terms like thatched English cottages, mori kei & mori girl, forest aesthetic, forest witch, flowers, baking. Honestly some of the search terms you would need for some of the things you can now find under cottagecore would be so amorphous as I'm not sure what you would actually search. You had to just sort of get lucky and then have the algorithm go, “Oh this person likes this thing. We should show them more of that.” For example here's an image of a really beautiful sink and shelf unit surrounded by beautiful cut flowers. Before cottagecore how was I going to find this? 

    The only way I can see having found something like this was through several searches for research on a room box and even then unless I was doing a specific style of room box I may have never found this as a reference image. 

    Furthermore, I adore that cottagecore encompasses not only cottages and pretty clothing that reminds me of something similar to mori kei and reminiscent of lolita fashion, it also encompasses picnics, baked goods, embroidery, & an air of general soft cuteness.  In some of its overlap with other aesthetics snails are also a thing as well as more fairy-esque styles. Both of which I have a fondness for through my art.

    It has also led to people making compilations of mods and games that someone might enjoy if they like the cottagecore aesthetic. This means I have been able to up my enjoyment of things that I already like. I am loving it. 

Comments