Things I Love Thursday: Steamed Buns with Red Bean Filling

 [Image Description] the words "Things I Love Thursday" written in a cream colored boxy Ariel font over a purple starry background.


     Happy April Fools Day! Remember to be nice. This is a great day to be weird and silly. But don't be a jerk to people or hurt their feelings.  

    My hose mate recently picked up frozen steamed buns filled with red beans from the local Asian Market. I had been wanting red beans or something with red beans so I was very happy. I've never steamed stuff though. When I got around to cooking them I thought looking up how would be a good idea, but decided to just give it a try. We had a steamer basket and it sort of fit in the big pot I cook popcorn in. So I set it up and gave it a try. I had some idea of how to steam stuff. Very similar to creating a double boiler. You just wouldn't want the water in contact with the bottom of the basket or the food would get soggy. 

    The problem is the lid didn't close. The steamer basket stuck up out of the pot about a centimeter or two. I rested the lid on top of the basket and let it heat for the 10 minutes the instructions said. I was worried that without the steam trapped in it might not cook properly, but I had a thermometer so I could check the internal temperature of the food. After ten minutes I stuck the thermometer in and found the temperature lacking. So I got some aluminum foil and closed it over the top of the pot. this worked much better. 

    The buns were delicious and I am looking forward to having more. I also may want to try steaming vegetables or something else, just to explore how steaming affects the food. 

 Happy List of Things 

  • Abominable
  • Critical Role
  • Creating miniatures
  • Polymer clay
  • The Sims 
  • Cute spiders, especially the hoppy kind


    I hope your week is going well. Have you learned anything new this week?  

Comments