Lolita Fashion and my Jewelry

    As a lolita I've never been as into the chunky plastic or resin jewelry as a lot of my fellow lolitas. Don't get me wrong they are super cute, however it's just not quite my style. I've always been more drawn to the delicate, unique things I find at thrift stores. Pearls,  semi-precious gemstones, and unique metal charms all make my heart sparkle with delight. This collection of jewelry tastes serves me particularly well. They work with my lolita fashion. They work with my steampunk. They even work with a lot of my Renaissance garb. Over the years I have amassed quite a variety of interesting pieces of jewelry, many of which have found their way into one or more of my lolita outfits. 

    From the very beginning I loved detailed brooches. Not always the easiest to find outside of a thrift store or antique shop. However, I found two particular types of accessories that fill my desire for brooch-like jewelry. Over the years I've collected a small handful of button badges. Some are delicate and pretty; often sold by indie lolita brands. Others are funny like my chemistry joke “the element of surprise” pin a friend got me years ago. But the recent popularity of enamel pins is amazing. So many interesting designs. From cute & delicate to straight-up snarky. No, recently a friend gave me a pin that literally says snarky. It's sparkly and I love it. 

    I've also not really been excited about wrist cuffs. Granted if I were wearing full length sleeves I do like the idea of the kind of wrist cuffs that would make the sleeves look longer with lace trim. However,  I love bracelets and bangles. I will stack on a bunch and I just feel fabulous. The little clinking sound as they tap against each other brings me a small amount of joy. When I was first seeing wrist cuffs people weren’t wearing bracelets with them. That seems to have changed in recent years. But I think personally I'll stick with my silly amount of wrist jewelry. 

    There's so many fun and interesting things you can find as jewelry and finding them has become so much easier over the years. It feels like people have more opportunities to get their designs made and tell others about them. This makes me really happy. But I still hope to get back to visiting thrift stores and antique shops soon. Especially if I can introduce others in my community to the places I like to hunt for the perfect addition to my jewelry box.  What are some of the kinds of jewelry you love wearing with your fashion? 

 

Comments