Self Care After A Pain Flare

[Image Description] Close-up of plant life growing out of a stump. Forest landscape out of focus in background.
Photo by Justin Dream on Unsplash

    There is something to be said for taking the time for ourselves. 

    I'd noticed that I'd stopped taking the time to recover after my pain flares and it was not serving me. I would throw myself back into work and it was not always the work that was most important or the work I truly wanted to do. Things would be forgotten and I would often run myself to the point of burn out. Because days you don't work because you are in terrible pain are not days of any sort of rest and recuperation. 

    So when my pain flare started this weekend I decided that I would stick to the recovery routine this time. It was rough at first. I really wanted to throw myself back into work immediately, but I resisted. And I feel pretty good about it. I even have a list of things to work on that I made as part of the routine. Things I'd been working on before the flare and things I needed to work on. That way I didn't forget these things. 

[Image Description] Hand written book like a journal and loose papers laying on bedsheets. Vase of flowers in background on a nightstand.
Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

    I can say so far there have been some good side effects. My pain flares usually knock my sleep schedule so far off kilter that it is difficult for me to have any semblance of a regular sleep schedule long term. But it wasn't as bad this time. I'll have to see how things go. And see if I can do this again after my next pain flare. 

    Tata,

    Lilian

Comments