A Day to Relax

Black fascinator hat with spider veil and protective solar glasses sitting on a small pile of books.

      Saturday was a particularly busy and still relaxing one. If you're not aware, this past Saturday October the 14th of 2023, there was an annular solar eclipse and the eclipse traveled directly over the region I live in. I made arrangements to travel to a friend's and spend the day watching the event. I had a small handful of tasks to do on the way there and another on the way back, but otherwise the whole purpose was just to watch the eclipse. 


     It was a wonderful day. 


     On the way there I talked to so many people while getting my errands done. Often about the eclipse. I posed with a stranger for a silly picture of the two of us in our whimsical, capricious fashions telling the clouds to stay clear for the eclipse. I was able to provide a bank teller with the local times of the eclipse as well as an extra pair of solar glasses I had been carrying with me for the exact purpose of giving away. 


     We arrived and sat in the back garden in comfy chairs gazing up at the celestial event with our protective lenses. I've seen many an eclipse through live streams. I’ve even gotten to watch the Venus Transit through a live stream. And I've even been able to view a partial eclipse with pinhole projection. But there is something otherworldly about seeing the eclipse in person. 


     The way the light changed and how it altered the colors of our surroundings. It was just enough difference from how it would look any other time of day that it was noticeable. I'm not even sure how to describe it or how to capture it in any other form of art other than possibly some high quality photography. The words “everything was a slightly different color" says what it was we saw, but it doesn't capture it unless you've actually seen a situation like that. The words feel almost meaningless otherwise. 


     It was an incredible thing to see. 


     Afterwards we spent time hanging out, chatting, and carving a pair of small pumpkins for a silly photo. I had not been planning to make mine into a face. I wanted to make a flower, which I did. My friend's mom pointed out that it looked like an upside down face. I had made an oop-tical illusion. 


Gender fluid person in purple dress wearing solar viewing glasses presenting to the camera a finished jack-o-lantern and a fist full of pumpkin guts.
Photo taken by friend. 

     We had to work quickly to get all the pictures while we still had good light out. Especially since it required some outfit changes. There was a pumpkin knight presenting a maiden with one of the jack-o'-lanterns and then there was a halberd wielding maiden presenting a pumpkin knight with the other jack-o'-lantern. It was quite silly and fun. We also took some photos based on a joke I had made about carving the pumpkin while wearing the solar glasses. Think of the caption, “See I told you nothing bad would happen.” I need to do some editing and figure out how to add chaos to the background. 


     Then we had a snack. 


     On the way home we stopped by the craft store to pick up some supplies and just dawdle for a bit. All the Halloween stuff is out and all of the autumn decor as well as the Christmas and winter. 


     Overall it was a relaxing day and I needed it. This month has been a bit tumultuous, I've barely had any time at all to make art this month, so spending an afternoon making art with friends was so fulfilling. 


Comments