February: More than just Valentine's Day

Vintage art of two children making sweets with a heart themed border around the image.
Image from The Graphics Fairy

    The stores have long been brimming with chocolates, roses, and cards.  But romance and chocolate aren’t the only things to celebrate in February.  And they are by no means the only things to do.  This winter month has so many different holidays and challenges to keep you active through all 28 days.

    February is Black History Month.  Too often women and minorities are left out of the history books.  Takes some time to learn about people you didn’t get to learn about in school.  I know the owner of the local bookstore where I’m at always has great sections for February and March.  I think I’d like to pick up a book to read from a list I saw on twitter.  I’ll have to see what on the list is available to me.
National African American History Month
History of Black Women in the Mathematical Sciences


    February has a list of interesting and odd holidays that you can enjoy to add some fun to the daily grind.

    Holidays:
February 3 Feed the Birds Day

February 7 Send a Card to a Friend Day
This one goes right along with the Month of letters challenge
February 11 Make a Friend Day

February 13 Clean Out Your Computer Day
Here is something I am sure plenty of us have been putting off with the “I’ll do it someday.  Or I really need to do this when I have the time.  Well let's all schedule some time Monday to work on it.  Maybe we won’t finish the task, but getting a chunk of it done is better than none at all.  
February 14 Valentine's Day   Yup <3

February 15 Discount chocolate day



February 19 Chocolate Mint Day
Ohhh, maybe we should make something tasty!  

February 26 Tell a Fairy Tale Day


    Want some challenges to add some activities to your life this month?  Check out these.

A vintage image of blue forget-me-not flowers sitting on top of a bundle of letters that are tied together with red ribbon.
Image from The Graphics Fairy

Month of Letters

    I talked about The Month of Letters earlier this month.  I have been participating for a few years and it is a lot of fun.  The rules are simple.  Send a piece of mail every day in February that the post runs and respond to all the letters you receive.  If you like snail mail or if you hate just getting bills and junk mail all the time this is a challenge to try.  Plus I am looking for new pen pals.

February Photo Day Challenge 2017

    I have always seen the Instagram photo a day challenges, but I haven’t gotten to participate in one yet.  How about you?  I found this one which looks fun.  Let’s join in on the fun, what do you say?

Writing & Creative Challenges

    Do you want some more writing challenges like NaNoWriMo, but in months other than November?  Here is a list of timed artistic challenges for February.   This page also has challenges for every other month of the year.  If you are like me and love NaNo take a look and find something else that sparks joy for you.

    There are plenty of other challenges out there just do a search and find something you like.  And if you find something, do share.  I’d love to hear about them.

    With the new month coming quickly I have taken some time to think about things I’d like to do.  

  • I want to master all of the Trigonometry skills on Khan Academy.  One of my major goals for the year is to study math.  I have a lot of material to brush up on.  Here goes.  
  • I want to finish reading another book before the end of the month.  
  • I want to create some cute things with clay.  Including a planner charm.  I actually kind of need one or some other form of book mark at this point.  
  • I want to make significant progress on my novel.  Word count or how much time has passed in the story won’t really do me much good in this goal.  I want to feel at the end of the month like i really worked at it and made progress.  



    So what is your month going to look like?  Have you found anything new to add to it?

 See you in February,
Lilian A. Brennan


Comments