The First Book of Kiki's Delivery Service

    I just finished listening to Kiki's Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono; read by Kim Mai Guest. 

    It was lovely and charming. 

    I was so excited when I discovered the movie was based on a book. And it wasn't just one book, there is a series. 

    However, they are in Japanese. Some of them are translated into various languages. It was the fist time I'd even considered learning a new language just to read something. 

    I knew the first book was translated into English. I found it difficult finding a copy though. Then I found out there would be a new translation in 2020. I was able to request it from the library's OverDrive. Time paced and it fell to the back of my mind. I was recently surprised to find the new audio book available on OverDrive with a hold for me. 

    I have truly enjoyed reading it and it gives me new ideas for a little room box project I have been toying with in my mind. I'd love to create Kiki's little attic room and having read the first book there are extra items I could make from the book. It would be so much fun. Plus it would push me into non-square room designs.

    There is another thing. Like the movie the book fills this specific genre I have found I really enjoy. Slice of life fantasy. I love to see the day to day in a fantasy or supernatural setting. I imagine I'd like slice of life sci-fi too. I just haven't had a chance to read or see any yet. 

    It has been a joy and I hope the rest of the series gets translated into English. I'd like to hear them as audio books too. Kim Mai Guest did a great job reading. It'd be fantastic to hear the whole series in her voice. 

Comments